Friday, May 6, 2022

Karaoke: Tone Deaf in Japanese

When I was in my early 20's, one of my absolute FAVORITE things to do was sing karaoke. 

I had a friend who DJ'd karaoke for a couple. When I met them, I met lifelong friends Chris and Jill. I absolutely adore them. When they weren't doing the DJing, we were out together at some place doing karaoke. It was my favorite past time. 

A young Sarah, singing Sin Wagon

After I moved to Kentucky in 2008, karaoke wasn't really a thing that a lot of people did. I found one place that did it, but I was so scared to get up and sing because I knew most of the people that was there from high school and they weren't particularly nice to me then, so I figured that hadn't changed.

Sing it, Sarah!

When I worked for the RV park, we did karaoke quite a bit. It was a usual crowd, mostly staff and staff family. We had an absolute blast making fools of ourselves (and imbibing...lol). Some of my favorite times were spent in that clubhouse, with my friends. I miss it.

I absolutely LOVE singing karaoke and my go-to song was always Sin Wagon by The Chicks (formerly The Dixie Chicks). Or I'd pull of Fancy by the amazing Reba. I actually won a karaoke contest singing Fancy, now that I think about it. 

Karaoke is a chance to let yourself be silly. To unwind and cut loose. 

What song would you sing?

 Oh, here's a video of me and several friends (and my husband) singing Bohemian Rhapsody. I'm the one in purple.

Welcome to a Secret Subject Swap. This month 5 brave bloggers picked a secret subject for someone else and were assigned a secret subject to interpret in their own style. Today we are all simultaneously divulging our topics and submitting our posts. 

My subject was "You’re in a karaoke contest. What song is going to get you the win?" and it was submitted by the amazing Fairy Blogmother herself, Karen from Baking in a Tornado. Thanks for the fun post!

Here are links to all the sites now featuring Secret Subject Swap posts. Sit back, grab a cup, and check them all out. See you there:

Baking In A Tornado

The Diary of an Alzheimer's Caregiver

Climaxed   

Part-time Working Hockey Mom                               

         

3 comments:

  1. Bohemian Rhapsody is a cool song, although hard to sing!
    Some 20 years ago at a corporate seminar we talked about fears. Mine is stage fright, speaking in front of a bunch of people, or *singing* for that matter. I wish I had not opened up about this. Next thing I know we had to take the bull by the horns and do exactly the thing we fear most. I had to sing Karaoke at a bar. I had physical symptoms of panic and I don't even know what to call it. My boss took pity in me and suggested he'd some on stage with me, we'd do a duet. And this is how I "performed" Nacny & Frank Sinatara's "Saying Something Stupid like I love You". And then I died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd sing "Thank you for the Music," if you ever found me imbibing enough to get up there, which I doubt. I completely agree that we all need to just let loose now and then, be silly and have fun, I just don't think I'd have the guts to do it in public. LOVE that video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to go to a karaoke bar after my husband's softball games with the whole team. Several would sing and they were amazing (some were awful, but fun still the same). Those are some of my favorite memories. I only sing in private and I'm sure society would thank me for it, but it's because I am literally to shy. But I love music it's a very important part of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Criticism? Just need to vent? Do that here!